Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 12:23:07 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <mj001@rogers.com>
To:        Kirk Bailey <idiot1@netzero.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cron/crontab befuddlement

Kirk Bailey wrote:

> ok, I read man cron and man crontab, and it's as clear as mud.
> Anyplace I can read more and maybe make the light dawn on this useful
> feature? OR, would anyone care to explain more?

Basically, you create a file where each line is a command to be executed
on a given schedule.  The line looks like this (first line is a
descriptive comment):

#minute    hour    mday    month    wday      command
       15             5       *       *              *
/home/mike/bin/FindAll

This says to run the command /home/mike/bin/FindAll at 15 minutes past
5, every day.
The asterisks mean "ignore this field", in effect.

Wday is the day of the week (I think Sunday=0, Monday 1 etc, but check)
Month is the month, either 1-12 or a three-letter abbreviation, such as
"Oct"
Mday is the day of the month.

So to run something at 11:15 on October 1st, you would say:
15   11   1   Oct * /home/me/mycommand.

You must create this file by running "crontab -e", which will put you into
your favourite editor.  You can examine the file with "crontab -l"

That's it, in a nutshell - details are from memory, so please check!