Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:58:34 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        "David A. Panariti" <davep.freebsd@meduseld.net>
Cc:        allbery@ece.cmu.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster editor problem

On 25 Dec 2002 at 22:46, David A. Panariti boldly uttered:

> There may be an easier way but you could use screen (/usr/ports/misc/screen)
> It has an option to create a log file.
> When using vi, it captures all of the escape sequences used to move the
> cursor, etc, so there is a lot of garbage looking stuff in the log, but
> everything is captured.
>
> Besides logging it is a wonderful utility with tons of uses.

I use screen for certain things (particularly when I'm upgrading
a server remotely over SSH, or in single-user mode) but syscons
is much easier to work with for me when it's available.

I think I'm inclined to go with the "script" route and just
ignore/remove the vi-generated junk, this sounds the most
practical. (reverting to a line-editor I don't think is an
option :-)

I'll do some testing and see how it goes.  Thanks for everyone's
suggestions.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig