Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 01:39:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: truncate(1) implementation details

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> > > yes :)
> >
> > No.  Use EXIT_* for errx() too.  Magic error exit codes are especially
> > useless when a human-readable error message is printed.
>
> Just to butt into this conversation...
>
> I know this from my dealings with the Teachings of Bruce, but style(9)
> dictates that exit() use the sysexits(3) when appropriate.
>
> I can see where people could be confused.

This is a bug in style(9) IMHO.  It was introduced in rev.1.5:

| Index: style.9
| ===================================================================
| RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/share/man/man9/style.9,v
| retrieving revision 1.4
| retrieving revision 1.5
| diff -r1.4 -r1.5
| 216,221c238,247
| <
| < 	/*
| < 	 * Exits should be 0 on success, and 1 on failure.  Don't denote
| < 	 * all the possible exit points, using the integers 1 through 300.
| < 	 */
| < 	exit(0);    /* Avoid obvious comments such as "Exit 0 on success." */
| ---
| > .Ed
| > .Pp
| > Exits should be 0 on success, or according to the predefined
| > values in
| > .Xr sysexits 3 .
| > .Bd -literal -offset 0i
| > 	exit(EX_OK);	/*
| > 			 * Avoid obvious comments such as
| > 			 * "Exit 0 on success."
| > 			 */

Other bugs in this include uglier formatting of the comment and the comment
no longer echoing the code.

In 4.4BSDLite-2, <sysexits.h> is only used in rmail, mail.local, sccs,
and in a few contrib'ed sources (bind, kermit, rcs, rtld and mh).
Similarly in BSD/OS4.1.

Bruce