Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:19:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      dbushong@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (David Bushong)
To:        rwl@gymnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot single with new loader?

You can't enable soft updates from single user; the disk has to be completely
unmounted.  Either boot from a floppy, and run it on the hard disk, or do
what I did (being to lazy to make a floppy), and boot the machine; run
tunefs on the live disk, type sync 5 times, and smack the power switch.

After all, it's not actually that the disk must be unmounted; it's that the
act of unmounting it would reset the tunefs flag in the superblock; erasing
what you did.  If you were to set it on a mounted filesystem and reboot
normally, it would unmount the fs normally, undoing your work.  As for how
to boot into single user; minimizing the danger of powercycling the machine;
I don't know, sorry; I haven't tried it since I switched to the new boot blocks.

--David Bushong