Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:45:26 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/scripts doFS.sh

[Moved from cvs-all to -alpha]

On 2001-Mar-09 04:35:13 -0800, David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 09:06:11PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
>> Needless to say, this means that we are right on the hairy edge of
>> overflowing for the alpha install disk.
>
>We've been on the hairy edge with every 4.x release, and commit to the
>-current kernel. :-(

gcc generates a fair amount of code padding to meet alignment
recommendations.  On the i386, this can be disabled with the
-malign-... options.  Would it be worthwhile adding similar
options to the Alpha to get rid of the ".align 16" statements
bloating the install code?

Based on a quick study of the code, it should be fairly easy to
add a new "-mno-code-align" option and re-write the LOOP_ALIGN
and LABEL_ALIGN_AFTER_BARRIER macros.  I'll provide patches if
this approach seems useful.  (Actually implementing all the i386
alignment choices is probably overkill).

Peter