Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 00:30:09 +0000
From:      Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
To:        "vizion communication" <vizion@ixpres.com>, <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What the???? Is there a Doctor in the house? Help

On Friday 09 May 2003 20:18, vizion communication wrote:
> Ok  do not know what is causing this problem and would
> appreciate some help in tracking down the cause.
>
> FreeBSD 4.7
>
> System runs fine for maybe a week and then all networking
> stops - without warning. I do not know anyway of  persuading
> it to resume networking without rebooting.
>
> Does anyone have some useful suggestions on how to diagnose
> the cause?

Had this problem some time ago. A process got killed.
Do a ps -ax right after rebooting and also when the network isn't working
again. Compare these two and look for processes that aren't there any more.

Also look at the console. When I had the problem for the first time, I got
some error messages saying that there isn't enough buffer space or so.
This could be another possible cause.

Daniela