Date:      Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:25:36 -0400
From:      Brian Skrab <brian@quynh-and-brian.org>
To:        Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic mounting of removable meadia

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

> Yes. Although it does not provide automatic mounting upon insertion of
> the disk (like windows does), it would be a solution.
> Unfortunately "man amd" does not say anything about the format of the
> map for a local device and i was unable to find anything in
> /usr/share/examples. Can anyone give me an example?

This article provides a tutorial for adding this functionality using amd.
It may be a little out-of-date, but it has worked for me in the past.

	http://www.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html

This solution mounts the media on access, and unmounts it on quiescence.
Not exactly "like windows does", but still useful.

Hope this helps.

~brian