Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:08:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Other OSs-Compatibility Layer Test Algorithm

--- Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 November 1999 at 10:07:49
> -0800, Joss Roots wrote:
> > Hi there;
> > Is there a document on how to test the
> FreeBSD
> > compatibility layer for other operating
> systems ?
> >
> > I know that FreeBSD has the power to run;
> >
> > 1. dos programs
> > 2. windows programs
> > 3. BSDi programs
> > 4. Linux Programs
> >
> > but can it run other OSs binaries, like
> > SunOS, MacOs, BeOS, HPunix, NetBSD, etc....
>
> It can run SunOS 5 (Solaris) on Intel (ELF),
> NetBSD and SCO (COFF)
> executables.

OK, lets say is there at least a "Complete" :-)
list of which OSs, and their versions ?
From your answer, I can see you got my point
(as usual).

> > I want some FreeBSD guru to point us to:
> >
> > EXACT, and ACURATE way to:
> > 1. know which version of which OS we can run
> bins
> > from
> > 2. where to grab (at least) a single bin for
> > each.
> > 3. FreeBSD Kernel configuration needed
> > 4. locations of supposed bin, lib, etc on the
> > FreeBSD machine to make things run smooth.
> > 4. permissions that don't break any security
> > things,  or crash anything.
> > 5. Any other OSs that FreeBSD is planning,
> > or currently developing or considering.
>
> This is probably the wrong thing to ask.
> Pointers you'll get.  EXACT,
> AC(C)URATE ways are things you can help define.
VERY nice Gotcha grog, sorry for the
"INAC(C)URACY", if this proves anythiing,
it would that you can never be sure you're
100% bug-free :-)

> There's stuff about this in the handbook, and
> also in "The Complete
> FreeBSD".  There could be more in the handbook;
> how about helping?
I'll dig into that and see how this conforms with
my original suggestion.  I have great trust in
Handbook, and "The Complete FreeBSD", after all
it is written by the "The" Greg Lehey.

I would very much like to help, at last
I would have the honour to adding "anything" to
the wonderful "unexplored" world of FreeBSD.

=====
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.