Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:34:00 +0600
From:      Victor Snezhko <snezhko@indorsoft.ru>
To:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Goran Gajic <ggajic@afrodita.rcub.bg.ac.yu>
Subject:   Re: 7.0-CURRENT ppp related panic

Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> G> I have managed to trigger two panics by doing ifconfig ppp0 destroy while
> G> ppp was running.
>
> Kernel ppp(4) is known to have problems. At least there are problems with
> interaction of Giant-locked tty layer and Giant-less network layer.
>
> I'd recommend you to use user-level ppp(8), or mpd, which routes traffic
> through kernel ng_ppp(4).

I may be mistaken, but I saw pppd in the panic report, isn't it an
indication of user-level ppp?

P.S.: I'm using user-level ppp(it comes before kernel one in the
handbook :)) and I am lucky enough not to experience any problem since
I switched to -current in November (besides INET6-caused one, which is
now fixed). Thanks for notice, though.

--
WBR, Victor V. Snezhko
EMail: snezhko@indorsoft.ru