Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2011 00:19:34 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: afexists()

On May 31, 2011, at 9:14 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

Hey,

> I don't have any specific objections to this change, although adding =
more calls to afexists() highlights an issue I addressed previously in =
looking at network.subr. On my system (with IPv6) it's called over 25 =
times at each boot, which given that it's a moderately expensive test =
indicates an opportunity for optimization.

Yeah, it's still a lot cheaper than going into the various =
configurations running ifconfigs etc.  Especially it does not yield =
errors this way;)

> Attached is a patch which caches a positive result for support for a =
given address family. I don't think caching negative results is a good =
idea since that could change as the boot progresses.

Not yet for inet or inet6 (or ipx I think) but atm might be loadable.  =
Looking ahead that's certainly true though maybe also considering =
virtualization maybe.

>=20
> I plan to commit this on Friday if there are no objections.

I am not sure it helps but I see no regression, so if you want, feel =
free to go ahead.

Bjoern

--=20
         Stop bit received. Insert coin for new address family.