Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:31:26 +0900
From:      Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lan bandwidth issue

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 01:15:00 +0100
Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 04:25:12AM -0700, silent slim wrote:
> > >From: Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
> > >To: silent slim <silentslimwashere@hotmail.com>
> > >CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > >Subject: Re: lan bandwidth issue
> > >Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 02:52:47 +0100

> > >down
> > >>
> > >http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?tab=b&ProductID=ST100S&topbar=topbara.htm
> > >>

> > >Right now I don't have much to go on. What problem do you have?
> >
> > i'd like the network to go at 100Mbps since both cards could be able too
> > and the current speeds are laughable.
>
> Most network cards still realy heavly on you computer CPU. There for you
> souldn't expert 10MBps out of it.
>
> Secondly, how do you transfer your data? If you use Samba then you
> should also expect a loss in speed, and you might consider switching to
> ftp.
>

> --
> Alex

It is also worth remembering that very few hdd can actually write data
at 100Mbps. Older motherboards often have ultra33 disk controllers etc
etc.  how many processes are writing to and reading from the same disk
(s) ?

One lesson I learnt was that you cannot underestimate the value of a
good NIC. I don't want to start any religious wars but I had used
realtek based NICs for the longest time and when I changed to 3Com I
noticed a full 2Mbps increase in speed on the same hardware. Having said
all of that when copying a large file - say 700mb I can copy from
windows to FBSD (both using 3Com) via a samba share and it takes about
6mins per file, the same file between FBSD and FBSD via another FBSD
router takes only 2 2.5 mins over rsync so as Alex mentioned perhaps the
way you are transferring files has something to do with it.

HTH

LukeK