Date:      Thu, 20 May 2004 10:44:14 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Steve Shorter <steve@nomad.tor.lets.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max NFSD processes

Steve Shorter wrote:

>On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 04:55:20PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>

>>I have several heavily used NFS servers, currently running FreeBSD
>>4.9-RELEASE.  I'm getting jammed up with all my nfsd processes being
>>busy, so clients see slow connections to the server.  I have the nfsd
>>starting with a count of 20, which is the max set in the nfsd.c file.
>>
>>Are there any risks I should be aware of before bumping up the max to
>>say 40, or even 50?
>>

>	Depending on where the bottlnecks in the system are,
>you can crank this up to whatever works for you.
>
>	I have tested and am running nfs servers with 80
>and 100 nfsd's with no problems at all

That's good to hear.  Did you do any other tweaks?  sysctl settings?
mbufs?

>>What would it take to make this a sysctl adjustable value?
>>

>	This isn't neccessary IM0, because the number of
>nfd's can be set at runtime. But the default max in
>nfsd.c should be increased.

I meant a sysctl for the MAXNFSDCNT setting in nfsd.c.

>>Should the max be bumped higher by default nowdays?
>>

>	Yep.
>

>>Thanks - any help/hints is appreciated.
>>

>	You probably also want good nics (fxp0) and to
>increase UDP buffer space. I have found that nfs over udp
>offers supperior performance  than tcp on a good LAN

I'm currently using 3com's (xl0,xl1) and Intel Gigabit cards (em0,em1).
Most of my clients are using udp.

What did you set your buffer space to? Which sysctl did you change?

Thanks!
Eric

Eric Anderson     Sr. Systems Administrator    Centaur Technology
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.