Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:10:55 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project idea: Put PVM in /usr/bin/make

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 06:01:20PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Adding PVM to /usr/bin/make is a simple task, less than 1000 lines of
> code.
>=20
> What you suggest is not going to happen in any of the next couple of
> years unless $BIGCORP pays somebody to do it.

I doubt it's nearly as complicated as you claim.  All you have to do is
tell the system to envoke a set of jobs which is a fairly straight
forward thing to do (it's not much harder then envoking rsh and you
could easily write a simple wrapper that provided rsh symantics if it
doesn't exist already.)

> My suggestion consequently still stands:  Please someone, add PVM
> to /usr/bin/make.

If someone adds it, that would be cool, I just think a better solution
isn't likely to be all that difficult.

-- Brooks

--=20

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR