Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 03:56:42 -0800
From:      Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Terminal wars: cons25 vs. linux (don't forget vt100)

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 04:53:30PM +0600, Alexey N. Dokuchaev wrote:

> Now let's take a look at FreeBSD.   First of all, no --color option of
> ls.  Strange....  Ok, moving on.  Midnight lacks some functionality
> (actually, I've contacted MC main author, and he told me that MC designed
> for linux, and there are some code that assumes you're running linux).
> Still, I'm not satisfied.  Would you be?  I don't think so.  Not quite.
>
> Ok, I try telnetting to my FreeBSD box.  What?!?!  Black and white
> midnight?  While in Linux everything works?  I don't understand it.

Try using screen (/usr/ports/misc).  I don't get color in my mail
client (mutt) unless I run screen.  Aside from just color, it's an
extremely useful tool.

As for Linux's 'ls', /usr/ports/misc/gnuls.  Note though, it doesn't
pipe to more properly :\.  So keep an alias to the old ls.

For Midnight Commander, try using your Esc key instead of control,
for those keys that don't seem to work.

-Brent