Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 10:10:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Subject:   Re: OS portability (was: Things you learn in school)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > It is true then that whatever your platform, and application, there
> > *is* a BSD for you.
>
> The CRIS architecture ETRAX 100LX:
> http://developer.axis.com/hardware/etrax100lx/

Getting FreeBSD, or any other BSD for that matter, running on this
chip would be really neat.  It looks like they have all of the
technical stuff needed (instruction set documentation and a compiler,
among other stuff) available freely on their website should someone
want to tackle it.  The ETRAX 100LX has an MMU whereas the previous
ETRAX 100 did not, IIRC, which would be key to running anything with a
unified VM system like FreeBSD, if I understand correctly.  Having a
100MIPS CPU with USB, dual SCSI, quad ATA, 2-sync/4-async serial, and
2 parallel interfaces on a single small low-power chip is... uhm...
amazing, to me.  :-)  We're using some of the products from Axis
(print servers, storage servers, cd-rom servers, document servers,
network cameras, etc.) which all use its predecessor the ETRAX 100
running Linux, and I've been very impressed with their performance and
features.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet
   - Available for IA32 (Intel x86) and Alpha architectures
   - IA64 (Itanium), PowerPC, and ARM architectures under development
   - http://www.freebsd.org