Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 00:58:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

In message <000001bea677$bc99d5f0$021d85d1@whenever.youwant.to> "David Schwartz" writes:
: 	That I do disagree with. The complaint was precise -- the
: RELEASE was not stable.

Crap.  Without providing details about *HOW* the release isn't stable,
it isn't precice enough.  I run FreeBSD-stable 3.1 every single day
and have had no problems with instability that would cause a reboot
every 24 hours.

: While it did not contain enough information to solve the problem, there are
: certainly possible solutions to it. For example, RELEASEs could be frozen a
: bit longer prior to actual release. More effort could be made to obtain
: wider testing for pre-RELEASEs. The RELEASE stream could be split off of
: STABLE earlier and allowed to stabilize without bouncing STABLE around with
: it.

Without knowing exactly what the problem is, any attempts at finding a
solution is just pissing in the wind.  A vauge report that things are
instable is not enough to reproduce squat, nor is it enough to know
what the instability is.  Hell, for all I know, he could be running
his system by a Van der Graaf generator which is causing the
instability.

Warner