Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:09:41 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>, "theVanguardian" <theVanguardian@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2 Questions - Be Careful!

> > 2.	I'm running GNOME as a normal non-root user, but for some
> > reason, whenever I try to run an X app from the terminal window
> > as root, I get the error "Connection to :0:0 refused by server,
> > Client is not authorized to connect to server" or something to
> > that affect. For
>
> xhost +
>
> from the account of whoever started up the X session.

   This will work as it is -- and is absolutely okay if you are not
on a network -- but do not just enter "xhost +" all by itself if you
are on a network and you don't want everyone else to be able to see
what you are doing.  "xhost +," all by itself, opens your X processes
up to everyone on the network, making it a simple matter for them to
capture your activities -- so far as to actually see your screen
exactly as you see it (with some performance degradation... hint,
hint).
   If you only want to run some X app's locally and you want to keep
some semblance of security, I'd recommend running "xhost +
`hostname`" so as to only allow acces to other users ("root" being an
"other" user, of course, when you're logged in as a regular user) to
use your display.  (Of course, you can type your actual hostname
instead of `hostname` -- but if you log into different machines from
the same account and frequently have need of running X apps this way,
you might considre putting that verbatim into a script -- perhaps
even a login script.

--
"Diligence is the mother of good luck." -- Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)