Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:16:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      michael <killjoy@burnvictim.com>
To:        Jim Karocki <JimK@DowlingAssoc.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "D.J. McIntee" <DJ@DowlingAssoc.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD killed the Windows95 Master Boot record.

I don't know much about windows 95 but for me (I use NT) When I installed
FreeBSD and over write the boot record it was sufficient to use a dos
boot disk with fdisk on it and just `fdisk /mbr` to rewrite the boot
record. Another solution that will be probably be more win 95 friendly is
to get the utility bootpart (I can't rember the url but its trivial to
find using yahoo or something like that) which will write out a native win
95 boot record.

You also might want to check to see if it isn't the boot record thats over
written but rather the active partition is set to the wrong partition.
This happened to me once when I did an install of FreeBSD on another
machine. You can check this using dos fdisk or bootpart.

michael