Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:47:32 +0100
From:      John Murphy <bigotfo@bigfoot.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: read error

raprf wrote:
>I have a PII system with a two harddisk configuration.  I am trying to
>run FreeBSD on the 2nd harddrive.  The installation process goes smooth
>but when I try to boot it I get "read error" message.  I am using
>"Bootmagic" as my MBR.
>I in a  quandry!

I think you need to set the FreeBSD partition bootable.  The quickest way
to do this is with Ranish Partition Manager, which is particularly quick
if you have it on a bootable floppy.  It loads in seconds.  Press F5 to
switch to the next disk.  Down arrow to the Slice marked "FreeBSD, =
BSD/386"
and press b.  Press F2 and then ESC.  Job done.

http://www.users.intercom.com/~ranish/part

(and it reminds me of XTreeGold, which is nice)

HTH
John.