Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 17:27:50 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        kalin mintchev <kalin@el.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raid or not raid

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 06:30:06AM -0400, kalin mintchev wrote:
>=20
> so nobody on this list knows anything about raid?
> wrong list?
>=20
> > hi all..
> >
> > i have a box in a remote hosting facility that claims that the machine =
has
> > two discs raided in it but df and fstab show only one disc with a bunch=
 of
> > slices.
> > under devices there is another name - ad6 - but it's not mounted anywhe=
re.
> > the one i see both in df and the fstab is ad4 with one big slice and
> > different partitions....

My (VIA Tech V-RAID) raid disk shows up as ar0, although the ad4 and ad6
device nodes exist as well.

Do you have the ataraid device in the kernel?

> > they insist there are 2 raided discs in tha machine. the os is 5.4 and i
> > think at that point the raid drivers were still considered
> > 'experimental'.

Then ask them how it's done.

> > it makes sense to me that if i don't see a second drive in the fstab th=
ere
> > isn;t any mounting which means that there is no raid going on...

If you're seeing an ad device, it's not RAID-ed, AFAIK.

> > is there any other way i can make sure if raid is actually on?
> > would there will be any logs somewhere?
> > the machine has been up for about 2 years and the dmesg is long gone...

It should be in /var/run/dmesg.boot.

Roland
--=20

--0eh6TmSyL6TZE2Uz