Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:28:44 -0700
From:      Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PoPToP and Samba

I currently have a VPN setup sorta working using Samba and PoPToP
with what appears to be just a small problem.

The clients can connect to the server over the internet just fine and once
connected, all of the computers on the lan can be pinged.  When you click
on Network Neighborhood on the client computer, a list of all of the computers
on the VPN connected Lan show up as they should.  The problem arrises in
that if you click on one of the computers the following message comes up

\\Computername is not accessible
The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed if
correctly,
and try again.

This message comes up for all of the computers except for the vpn server that
the cient is connected to.

I am however able to map network resources by ip using the net use command
net use t: \\computername\sharename

After I map any resource on a given computer to my local computer, I am then
able to click on it successfully from the network neighborhood as I should be
able to.. but only the computers that I have mapped a resource from.

I assume that the misconfuguration is on the server side.  My initial
though was
that maybe the WINS server is not functioning correctly..  I also attempted
to use
a lmhosts file to list explicitly the ips for the computers, but that
resulted in the
computers no longer showing up in the network neighborhood..

If anyone has had this problem, or just has a guess as to what the problem
might
be, I'm open to suggestions..

	Thanks
		-Aric Kinney