Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:33:05 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        steve <schan_ca@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Soft update questions.

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 12:22:59AM -0800, steve wrote:
> Hello, I have a few questions about soft updates.
>
> [1]    I did the following to enable soft updates
>             - hit space bar during boot up
>             - boot -s to enter single user mode
>             - hit enter to accept default shell
>             - tunefs -n enable /
>             - tunefs -n enable /usr
>             - tunefs -n enable /var
>             - tunefs -n enable /tmp   <--- ***
>             - reboot
>
>         When I do the above, for /tmp, I get:
>             tunefs: /tmp : not a block or character device

I guess /tmp is not a filesystem but just a normal directory.
What is the contents of /etc/fstab ?

> [2]    I read that once tunefs is enabled, it stays enabled
>         even after reboot. But not after power off/on right?

Yes, it does stay enabled. If softupdates is enabled or not is stored on
the disk.

> [3]    Where in /etc should I put a script to enable soft updates
>            during boot up?

Nowhere. It is not necessary.  If in doubt just give the command 'mount'
which shows all mounted filesystems and is softupdates is enabled it will
say so.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson