Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 18:29:51 -0700
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
Cc:        nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cool sound tools/programs?

[ Vat over a IP modem connection ]

> VAT uses TCP/IP and/or IP Multicasting. The standard FreeBSD distribution
> comes with IP multicasting enable ;hence, there is no need to
> disconnect you IP connection to install and run VAT. The sound data
> compression
> algorithm is not related to the modem data compression or to the
> IP header data compression of SLIP.

Cool!  It's sounding better all the time.

>  > Where do I find the VAT stuff?  It's not in ports.
>
>  >
> VAT is not available in source form...
> Perhaps someone can make a ports package which downloads vat from
> ee.lbl.gov....

How about you?  You sound like you already know what needs to be done,
and who better qualified to do audio/video than you? *grin*

> You may have to hack around a little with sys-vat to get it to work
> with FreeBSD-2.0 mostly because the configuration files are for
> FreeBSD-2.0.

Even more reason to have you do the port (assuming you already have it
setup on a 2.X box)

> BTW: Nate you can have private conversations with your wife
> by  encrypting the session. This is important, at least for me,
> we don't want to be listening to lover's converstations :)

*grin*  Well, since the only connection it will be used over is the one
from my work to home, it shouldn't be any problem.

Nate