Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 15:52:58 +0200
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE:  g77 in base system.

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 10:37:55AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Geez, and I used to think it was only the commercial OSs that had a
> problem with bloat and creeping featurisms ... :(  Chuck's idea makes more
> sense...how many programs does the average system run that needs a fortran
> compiler? *raised eyebrow*

I always thought the criteria for inclusion of things into the base
system was:

1.  Needed for 'make world';
2.  Needed to get a basic functioning server up and running;
3.  Something usefull only within FreeBSD (like the kernel ;), or
4.  Can't be effectively built outside of /usr/src.

If {g77|f77} can be built as a port, using the system EGCS, then to
port's it goes.  Otherwise why don't we include the Top 20 ports, or
maybe the Top 25, or...

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
  |   "I could be anything I wanted to, but one things true
--+--  Never gonna be as big as Jesus, never gonna hold the world in my hand