Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:47:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla webclient

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 05:49:58PM -0400, Christopher Rued wrote:
>  >  > > Has anyone tried this?  Any ideas for a fix?
>  >  >
>  >  > Make sure libnspr4 is linked with the pthreads library (you need to use
>  >  > the -pthread flag to gcc).
>
> [SNIP]
>
>  > You would think (I have not yet tried to wade through the Makefiles)
>  > that the --with-pthreads would cause -pthread to be passed to gcc.
>
> It looks like -lpthread is passed to gcc, not -pthread.

Thats the correct flag for most OSes, but not FreeBSD :).

> The weird thing is that, even without the patches, I am able to run
> the browser that I compile without any (apparent) problems.  It's when
> I try to run the browser embedded in java that I get the error.

If I'm reading this correctly, its almost certainly an RTLD_LAZY vs.
and RTLD_NOW issue (when the library is dlopen()'ed).

> I have applied the patches from the port, most applied cleanly -- the
> port uses a different version of the source.  Let's see if that fixes
> anything.

It should, as I'd expect the mozilla patches to fix the linking flag
to be -pthread.  I'd be interested in hearing if this fixes the problem :).

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494