Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2014 11:55:53 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>, "bugmeister@freebsd.org" <bugmeister@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Marcus von Appen <mva@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: junior kernel tasks

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:07:31 pm Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 28 October 2014 15:14, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> Speaking not strictly with the bugmeister hat, but from experience, please do
> >> not let us go down the road of (ab)using a bug tracking solution as task and
> >> idea management system. I think that using the tasks feature of phabricator
> >> (our reviews instance) would provide better workflow support for those things,
> >> starting out from sketching out rough ideas, discussing them, breaking them up
> >> in seperate tasks (linked to and dependent on each other) and collaborating
> >> on them (take a look at https://developer.blender.org/T42339 for a
> >> brief example).
> >>
> >> Having said this, let's keep the bug tracker a bug tracker.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Marcus
> >
> > I disabled the tasks on phabricator to avoid having it a duplicate of bugzilla,
> > but if we have a use for it I can activate it!
> >
> > Actually I do like the idea of the bug tracker aka bugzilla being only for bugs
> > and uxe phabricator for tracking the tasks
>
> having disparate trackers for "wishlist" and "bugs" is quite harmful
> and splits the conversations.  It makes people learn multiple systems
> and search multiple places - especially if the feature ends up being
> submitted as a patch to the bug tracker.
>
> I'd rather keep wishlist items in the bug tracker than split them into two.
>
> (also, fwiw, I'd rather keep the tasks number space clean should we
> ever decide to import from bugzilla -> phabricator)

I'm not tied to a specific issue tracker to use for this and am happy to other
folks debate which implementation is best, but what I would prefer is a system
to let us manage "ideas to implement" like the ideas page for GSoC and this
wiki page.  The desired output is a list of vetted tasks.  A task might start
out as a wishlist entry, but someone has to step up and say "yes, this is a good
idea and I will review it / shepherd it, etc." for it to become a "vetted task".
Being able to store conversation about each task and tag it with other meta
data (e.g. tagging the person who "owns" the task and will do the review /
sheperding as well as being able to categorize them, etc.)  However, I do think
one important thing is that when a new idea is submitted, it has a built-in
sunset.  If no one grabs it after time X it becomes closed instead of remaining
an open wishlist forever.  Similarly if the "owner" of a task drops ownership,
the timer would start while waiting for a new owner.  However, this does feel
very much like an issue tracker.

--
John Baldwin