Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:49:18 +0500
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        "malarraj malarraj" <smraj@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in connecting a machine in network

> "ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 5 on isa
> ed0:address 00:80:29:67:43:ec type NE2000 (16 bit)

> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCGIFFLAGS): no such interface

Check your /etc/sysconfig to see which interface is trying to be ifconfig'ed?
It should be "ed0" judging from your message above.

> If we execute
> "ifconfig ed0 202.229.220.229 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> (because we didn't include it in /etc/rc file)
> we get
>
> "Jan 20 11:16:12 apt /kernal: ed0: device time out"

> If we ping to any other machine we are getting same "device timeout"
> error thrice and after that "Host is Down" message is coming.

Looks like the kernel isn't getting the IRQ.

> There is no I/O conflicts or IRQ conflicts.We have checked it
> while booting (boot -c "visual" option shows there is no conflicts)

(a) Check if the card IRQ matches with what the kernel thinks the IRQ is?
    If I remember right, the probe just looks for the card at the configured
    IRQ address by reading and writing device memory.  Send or recieving a
    packet uses the interrupt which isn't checked at probe time.

    If necessary, run your DOS tools to see the IRQ the card is actually
    configured for.  What is printed at startup time is the kernels idea of
    the IRQ, not the cards actual configuration.

    Note that this is different from there being any `conflict' of IRQ's
    assigned.

(b) I've seen problems with older NE2K cards on the newer P5 motherboards.
    Does your card work in the same machine from under DOS?  Sometimes
    fiddling with the motherboard settings (io wait states) etc may help.

Koshy
<koshy@india.hp.com>		My Personal Opinions Only