Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 11:57:45 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        tito@agi.es (TITO)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TANDBERG TDC3600 - need multiple 512

TITO writes:

> I've a problem with make a tar backup to streamer TANDBERG.
>

> When I use the option z ( to make tar with gzip ), the system returns this
> bug.
>
> 	input/output error - must be multiple 512

Interesting one.  First, what it means: the driver wants a write
length which is a multiple of 512 bytes.  That works well enough with
tar normally, but not if you compress, in which case it writes in
dribs and drabs.  You can fix it with:

   tar czf - <files> | dd obs=20b of=/dev/rst0

This will force a block size of 20 blocks.

Greg