Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 12:17:01 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <phi@evilphi.com>
To:        ulf@Alameda.net
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restore/Recovery or OS CD for Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net> writes:
>> Does anyone have by chance the restore/recovery cd or the Windows XP
>> Home cd which came with a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173 (about 4 years
>> old)? Trying to wipe the system before sending it for someone in
>> Indonisia. Would prefer not spending extra money on a OS license.
>
> As long as the laptop has a license sticker on the bottom, you can use
> any XP install CD for the same edition (Home or Professional).  SP2 and
> additional drivers are available online.

The Satellite 14xx series (like most of Toshiba's computers) comes with
a software bundle that installs all in one go with the OS.  It's
basically a system image reload but without a "hidden" restore partition
on the hard drive.  Makes it an pain in the ass to reload Windows with a
base configuration, since some of the software they add is broken and
some lack uninstallers.  If that wasn't bad enough, there's no
"universal" reload media, each configuration (even if it's the same
model!) has a different system image.  Did I mention I hate supporting
Toshiba notebooks?

Ulf: Call Toshiba at 800-457-7777 with your model and serial numbers and
they'll send you replacement media for US$35.

--
Darren Pilgrim