Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:16:29 -0700
From:      Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To:        kientzle@netcom.com
Cc:        hua@chromatic.com, chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux async vs. FreeBSD sync (fwd)

> various custom files.  I'd actually forgotten about app-defaults, I'll
> have to add that in; one of my goals is to divorce the `X11
> distribution' from the locally-installed software so that the X11
> system can be upgraded independently.  Moving individual applications'

Funny you should mention this.

I have ended up keeping the X part of /usr/local logically separate
for precisely these reasons, and one more:  When I was using SunOS,
I preferred MIT X (mostly because they were at least 2 years ahead
of OpenWindows).  However, some applications just really needed to
run on OpenWindows, so I had to isolate X from the rest of the apps
because which window system I choose when invoking an app was very
much context dependent.  My solution was too ugly to mention, but
the MIT and the OpenWindows apps got along fine.

Ern