Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:11:37 +0300
From:      Valery Zamarayev <qd@sea.com.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find what "revision" of OS you're using?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 10:28:22AM -0600, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:
> I've just run cvsupit and did a "make world" on a box running FreeBSD
> 3.4.  The machine has been rebooted and all looks to be working
> fine.  After all this, how do I find out what revision or version I'm
> actually running.  More specifically, what rev or version of FreeBSD 3.4 is
> now installed on my computer?

What do you mean by 'revision' ?  In terms of CVS revision is a version of
a certain file within the repository, and rarely has anything to do with
versions of the product. Tags are used for this to indicate which revisions
each file constitute some version of the product (release, snap or just any
point in time during development).
FreeBSD developers tag each release with RELENG_4_RELEASE_4_0 and so on.
Sticky tags are used for branching (e.g. RELENG_3, RELENG_4).

'uname -a' will tell you  about your system, which is, I guess,
what you really need.

--
Sincerely etc.  Valery Zamarayev
http://www.sea.com.ua