Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:39:46 -0700
From:      Dan Yergeau <yergeau@gloworm.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Amergin <amergin@wwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linksys PCM100

>I recently purchased a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 (model pcm100) since it
>appeared supported under FreeBSD. Unfortunately it doesn't appear
>supported under the installation.

PCM100 or PCMPC100 (aka EC2T)?  Both appear to be supported, though
the PCM100 is not listed in the release notes (it does appear in the
default pccard.conf).

If it is the PCMPC100, then it may be the V2 revision of the
card (maybe there is even a V2 of the PCM100?).  The 4.1-RELEASE
pccard.conf doesn't have an entry for the card that identifies
itself with the string shown below.  Check the box carefully.  IIRC,
Linksys actually had the good sense to
 - print the V2 on the outside of the box, indicating some (minor)
   internal changes to the card
 - change the internal identifier string for the card to

     #Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100 V2)
     card "Linksys" "EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100 V2)"

The PCMPC100 V2 card works (with 4.1; it didn't work with the ed
driver under 4.0), but only after you add the new pccard.conf entry
(clone of the PCMPC100 with the correct card identifier).

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how to
modify the pccard.conf file with only the installation floppies.

>> have you looked how the kernel is identifying the card?
>
>No. How can I tell from the installation floppies? I did try to gather
>more information from the holographic shell, however, I am not versed
>enough to know how/where to look with the limited command set.
>
>> have you looked how the card is stored in the pccard.conf?
>
>see above.

With only the installation floppy, I don't think that there is
enough diagnostics available to query the card information structure
("pccardc dumpcis").  And, although I haven't tried it, the
installer will probably only report that no network device was
found.

Dan