Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:03:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "FreeBSD as a Desktop" heh, heh....

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Eric Anderson wrote:

> I use FreeBSD as my desktop OS on my notebook and my desktop
> workstation.  I have nvidia cards in both - which I wouldn't suggest
> for a "simple" xwindows install, since the nv drivers don't work
> with the newer cards.  I had to use the linux ones.

The newest NVidia cards work fine with FreeBSD's XFree86 port.  I
created a patchset for XFree86 that added support for the newest cards
to the nv driver which was added to the XFree86 port on August 5.
You have to either build XFree86 from the ports, or use
FreeBSD.org-built binaries made after that date.  The
XFree86.org-built binaries will not have any improvements incorporated
in them after the day that particular version of XFree86 was released.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.