Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:20:19 -0453
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GCC question

On 06/22/15 11:42, andrew clarke wrote:
> On Mon 2015-06-22 11:07:53 UTC-0453, William A. Mahaffey III (wam@hiwaay.net) wrote:
>
>> I found some sources online last summer when I built this box that said
>> clang produced worse code than gcc, that's most of the reason I went w/
>> 9.3R rather than 10.n, which are clang based, as I understand things. I
>> guess I am good to go now, then, thanks :-) ....
> I think you'll find 10.x is no slower than 9.x. Otherwise nobody would
> use 10.x.
>
> Whatever you read probably applied to a much older version of clang.

Nope, it specifically referred to FreeBSD 10.n ....

> "Last summer" is ambiguous btw. Earth has two hemispheres. Where I
> live it's winter.

Northern Hemisphere, (late) last summer was Aug/Sep 2014 :-) ....

> Incidentally your email program's time zone is very odd. UTC-0453?

Yeah, I like my computers to report the same time I set my clocks to,
which is about 6 min. fast, so I made up an oddball TZ to reflect that.
It was discussed on the NetBSD-arm list, in case you want all the gory
details ;-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."