Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:36:36 +0100
From:      Joan Picanyol i Puig <lists-freebsd-questions@biaix.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: converting real media audio

[please honour, Mail-Followup-To:, not subscribed]

* Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org> [20031112 15:12]:
> Joan Picanyol <lists-freebsd-questions@biaix.org> writes:
> > [please honour Mail-Followup-To:, not subscribed]
> > I've found two speeches in Real Audio format I'd like to burn on a CD.
> > I'm able to reproduce them fine with linux-reaplayer, but sox doesn't
> > understand the format. What's the one liner to dump what is sounding on
> > my speakers to a file sox can convert (which device shoud I cat?)? Is
> > there some utility to convert from .rm files to .wav?
> Run realplayer under linux-vsound (in the ports).
Thanks for the tip, however it doesn't quite work:

(16:24:25 <~>) 0 $ vsound -f appel.wav
/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay /home/pub/25/Audio/appel\[1\].rm
Missing file ./vsound61809.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty. A
possible reason is that the program you are trying to run is
setuid. In this case you will need to run vsound as root.
(16:24:51 <~>) 0 $ sudo vsound -f appel.wav
/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay /home/pub/25/Audio/appel\[1\].rm
Missing file ./vsound62032.au.
This means that the libvsound wrapper did not work correctlty. A
possible reason is that the program you are trying to run is
setuid. In this case you will need to run vsound as root.
(16:27:22 <~>) 0 $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1247004 Nov  5 17:16
/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer8/realplay

What am I doing wrong?

tks
--