Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:04:54 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pentium 4 Dell and heat issues

Hi

I just received my new Dell inspiron 4150 with a P4 1.6GHz cpu. When making buildworld (freshly updated stable), it coredumps with a signal 11 at different stages, usually after around 10 minutes, shortly after the fan kicks in.

I know this is usually either a heat or a bad memory issue, but before I send it back, I would like to know if there are any known issues with P4 Dell notebooks, not particularly related to heat. Could it be that FBSD has problems with a P4 system? Or is this definitely a heat/memory issue. How do your P4 Dell notebooks behave?

I will also reinstall win xp that came with the notebook and see if I can produce any errors there, I will check google for apps that generate cpu-load and display system temperature or any anomalies.

thanks in advance, t.