Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:58:19 +0600
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/165903: mbuf leak

Hi.

On 11.04.2013 01:39, Chris Forgeron wrote:
>  I do not experience the error if I load up vmware tools and use the vmx3f0 adapter, it's just with em0.
>
>  I have set the mbufs to very high numbers (322144) to buy more time between lockups/crashes. Most often the systems stay functional, they just need a reboot or more mbufs if I add them. Some times they lock up or crash as I ifconfig down/up the adapter or attempt to add more mbufs via sysctl.
>
>  1) Is anyone else able to reproduce this problem? The PR is still open, which says to me not all of us can be having this problem or there would be more drive to fix.
>  2) What do I need to help with to advance this problem? It's not just my systems, as evidenced by the original poster of the PR.

(I'm the author of the PR).
I was experiencing this on 9.0 'till some -STABLE, after that the leak
was gone on the exactly same configuration. This server is equipped with
bce(4) interfaces only, so I don't see any connection with interface
driver. I think it's more configuration related. I created this pr in
order to investigate why one of my 9.x servers hangs periodically. Since
that I tried lots of 9-STABLE snapshots, none of them fixed my problem.
Last month I decided to switch to 10.x. The uptime is 37 days so far,
none of my 9.x snapshots was able to stand that long. Even if this
machine will crash while I write this - this definitely means that 10.x
right now is at least equally stable as 9.x is, and can run as smoothly
as 9.x does.

My advice - use 10.0-CURRENT, 9.0 and all of it's descendant versions
are broken beyond repair, imo. Switching to 10.x was a hard decision for
me too, I was too scared by the '-CURRENT' karma. Seems like it's not
that creepy.

Eugene.