Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:17:53 -0400
From:      Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Problem

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 11:51:37AM -0500, uid0@catastrophe.net wrote:
> I managed to get X running on my OmniBook XE3, but when I'm in TWM (just
> using it as the default startup) there's two really weird things that
> happen.

It would be nice if you told us which video card you have. The name of
the notebook model doesn't mean anything (at least to me).

> 1. Whenever I move the mouse, I get horizontal lines flickering.

I suppose you use the _default_ X in FreeBSD release (X 3.3.6). This is
the indication that the generic SVGA driver doesn't drive your specific
video card very well. Not bad, but annoying flicker. The same happened
on my Sony Vaio. One can play with ModeLine setup but if your video card
is supported by X 4.x better solution is to get rid of old X and install
the new one from ports collection.

On my Vaio model, trident driver from X 4.x drives Trident Cyberblade
video card in 1024x768@16bpp perfectly. I had to set up the options
CyberShadow and SoftwareCursor, though. Before CyberShadow I was able to
see only a small stripe at the right end of the screen and the rest was
black. But "man trident" showed clearly:

       Option "CyberShadow" "boolean"
                For Cyber chipsets only, turn off shadow registers.  If
                you only see a partial display - this may be the option
                for you.  Default: on.

You can check the options for your video card and whether it's supported
at www.xfree86.org.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@cs.wm.edu>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/