Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Software raid 1 on root partition?

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:51:09AM +0200, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:55:46 +0930
> > Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> > G> The question was about software RAID.  That's currently still not
> > G> possible.
> >
> > 	OK now I'm confused - if you set up a RAID1 array with atacontrol
> > on a standard (non RAID) controller what's doing the RAID if it isn't the
> > ata driver software ?
> >
> > --
> > C:>WIN                                          |     Directable Mirrors
>
> 	That would be nothing.  You can do software raid with vinum
> or some other utility, or you can do hardware ata raid with a
> promise or highpoint controller and interface to it with
> atacontrol.  You can't use atacontrol to make a standard non-raid
> IDE controller do raid.

behanna@topperwein> man atacontrol

[...big snip...]

    Allthough the ATA driver allows for creating an ATA RAID on disks
                                                             ^^^^^^^^
    on any controller, there are restrictions. It is only pos- sible
    to boot on an array if its either located on a "real" ATA RAID
    controller like the Promise or Highpoint controllers, or if the
    RAID declared is of RAID1 or SPAN type, in case of a SPAN the
    partition to boot must reside on the first disk in the SPAN.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant