Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Matt Bettinger <mattb@finsyn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nvidia Video card

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Matt Bettinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am having some problems with an nvidia riva tnt2 4XAGP 32 Meg M64.  I
> can't seem to get X with kde or any GUI to fire up.

> I am using the GENERIC kernel as of now on a dell xpst750 NEC multisync
> fe700 monitor.  I can get it to work but only at 8bpp 600X800.. pretty
> weak.

First, the kernel has nothing to do with using a fancy video card and high
resolution graphics.

> Does anyone have a similar setup and if so could they please give
> me a hand with this?  I have consulted The handbook and the local
> FreeBSD users group here and still can't get it right after 2 weeks of
> playing with it off and on.  thanks.

What do your logs say? Run 'X -probeonly >& somedumbfile and read it.

That you can run X at a low resolution would cause me to believe that you
are having issue with your modelines and your monitor refresh settings.

What the logs say are key.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells