Date:      21 Mar 1998 17:46:11 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A day in the life of a hacker (was: Re: 'Code Freeze')

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
> [long rant]

Once in a while, maybe every two weeks, in between work and studies, I
get bored. So I think to myself, hey, I have some time to kill - why
not make world?

So I switch to the virtual desktop where cvsup has been sitting for
three weeks because I can never be buggered to log out and hit the
little green arrow. A few minutes later, when the disks have stopped
their chatter, I go find me a root shell, and type:

root@valinor ~# cd /usr/src
root@valinor /usr/src# make buildworld 2>&1 | tee ~/make.world.log

and go read a book. I'm heavily into Piers Anthony these days.

A little more than an hour later, Valinor goes silent and I put down
my book and sit down at the console. I kill off my horde of emacsen,
Ctrl-D my dozen xterms (don't ask me what I need a dozen of xterms
for) and 'shutdown now'. Then comes:

# . ~/.bash_login
root@valinor ~# cd /usr/src
root@valinor /usr/src# make installworld 2>&1 | tee -a ~/make.world.log

(pick up my book again for 10-15 minutes)

root@valinor /usr/src# cd /sys/i386/conf
root@valinor /sys/i386/conf# config valinor

(yes, I always reconfig for fear of significant changes in files.i386)
(at two seconds a line, I could prolly read a paragraph or two in the
time it takes config to do its deed, but I can't be buggered)

root@valinor /sys/i386/conf# cd /sys/compile/valinor
root@valinor /sys/compile/valinor# make

(book, 5 minutes)

root@valinor /sys/compile/valinor# make install
root@valinor /sys/compile/valinor# fastboot

(guess what I do for ~3 minutes)

And, well, whaddya know, in slightly less time than it takes me to
read half a chapter - with 128 MB RAM and two 2940s, she's a slow
booter - she's back up, alive and kicking and purring like a cat. Not
a single glitch, not a single complaint, her fan doesn't even miss a
beat. I'd say I'm in love if I didn't suspect it'd lower my chances of
picking up girls.

So keep it up, guys, nobody can do it quite the way *you* can.

Oh - and by the way, methinks 2.2.6 is gonna be the best release in a
long while. It certainly has added more "marketable" functionality
(e.g. PnP support, new audio drivers) than any previous release I can
remember. Then again, I haven't been around more than two years or so.

DES (who feels guilty for not helping Jordan push the cart)
--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");