Date:      Sun, 6 May 2007 13:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gore Jarold <gore_jarold@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware3 on FreeBSD 6.2 - minor (?) svga problem ...

While we're waiting for vmware5 on FreeBSD, I decided
I could live with vmware3 as a stopgap for a while...

So I went to /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3 and did a
normal 'make install'.  Everything went fine.

I then followed mailing list archives and:

/sbin/sysctl -w kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

and:

/sbin/mount -t linprocfs linprocfs /compat/linux/proc
/sbin/kldload
/usr/X11R6/lib/vmware/modules/vmmon_up.ko

And proceeded to create my first virtual machine... I
got an error about not recognizing sysmouse, but that
eas easily fixed in the vmware mouse settings.

Now, the only problem I have is, when I attempt to
"power on" my virtual machine, I am told:

"Failed to initialize SVGA device"

and that's that.

Any ideas ?  It was suggested in an archived post to
just try powering on 4-5x, but that did not help me.

I am running the xorg that was in the ports tree with
6.2-RELEASE and xdpyinfo says:

screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    5760x1200 pixels (1572x331
millimeters)
  resolution:    93x92 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
  root window id:    0x96