Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:41:45 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Impoving NFS performance

Ran some tests today to try to determine where some bottlenecks are occurring
in a recently installed WAN and found something rather disturbing.
In tests, NFS is anywhere from 4 to 20 times slower than SMB or FTP file transfer.
FTP = ~80k/sec
SMB = ~60k/sec
NFS = ~25k/sec (although one test showed 2.5k/sec - ugh!)
Fellow I work with claims that this is just the way NFS is and that we should abandon
it for other file-sharing methods.
Anyone have any light to shed on this? Is NFS inherently slower than SMB and other
protocols? If no, what can be done to speed things up?

TIA,
--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services