Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:21:26 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, "Brian Raynes" <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
Cc:        <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

> > I know, I make my living setting FreeBSD Server/
> > Windows 2000 Desktop networks.
>
> What arguments did you use to persuade clients to accept FreeBSD servers
with Windows 2000 desktops--and why did you prefer that
> configuration yourself (if you did)?

I have deployed or converted several networks to the FreeBSD/Win2k model.
They are _very_ reliable.  I find Windows 2000 to be the most reliable
version of Windows while still posessing enough features to make it useful.
I setup my FreeBSD servers with Samba, qmail, and a transparent
bridge/firewall configuration on the WAN.  Basically, when I am called into
a job, the company has already made up it's mind that it's unhappy with the
Microsoft or (ugh) Novell servers they already have.  I simply explain to
the clients that their users will not see any difference in the services
provided (file serving, email, firewall protection, virus scanning of email,
network-workstation backups).  What they will see is a drastic reduction in
network services downtime.  Often they will see improved performance on the
fileserver with Samba.

All you can really do is make promises and deliver on them.  Usually a
company will allow you to install one server in a non-critical area to
demonstrate the functionality.  Once you've shown the server's OS is
transparent to the user, and that the FreeBSD server will continue to run
until the heat death of the universe, they will go along with a total
conversion.  If you are having a hard time convincing them to move into the
FreeBSD world, show them the uptimes on some of your personal servers or
previous clients.  Most companies will be more than happy to discover that
they don't need so many MCSEs on their staff.  Of course, the Microsoft
people working at the company will hate you.  The Unix guy who's come in to
install a strange server that runs on it's own with more performance and
reliability than the NT/2K servers that it takes 3-4+ MCSEs to maintain.
That's really the biggest problem converting companies.  Preexisting IT
staff.  Simply question management on the uptimes and reliability of their
current configuration.  They will jump at the promise of a more reliable
configuration.  If the MCSEs try to naysay you, tell them there's a
difference between a college degree and certs, and that any fool can buy an
MCSE in TJ for $100.  It's quite easy to convince managers that their IT
staff is substandard and overpaid, since they've been thinking that to
themselves for months.

I'm sure I've made it clear I enjoy breaking up the happy little world of
MCSEs and the companies they're hoodwinking.

Jeremiah Gowdy

IT Manager - Senior Network Administrator

Sherline Products Inc
3235 Executive Ridge
Vista CA 92083-8527

IT Dept: 760-727-9492