Date:      Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:15:39 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?xYF1a2FzeiBCcm9taXJza2k=?= <lbromirski@mr0vka.eu.org>
To:        Goran Gajic <ggajic@mail.sbb.co.yu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@www.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter 4.1.6 won't build on FreeBSD5.3 amd64 (fwd)

Goran Gajic wrote:

> Actually I was interested if Dual Opteron with FBSD5.3
> can compare with Cisco7206 with NPE-G1 running only for NAT

You'll need good motherboard, NICs, 1-2GB of RAM and quite capable
CPU. Two won't help much, but sometimes the motherboards for two
CPUs provide higher standard (separate buses for PCI, PCI-X slots
instead of regular PCI etc.), so it may be beneficial, but YMMV.

> purpose of some 7000 hosts (and sadly more then ~80k pps can easly bring
> it down and no one can comfirm that 7206 with NPE-G1 can actually
> process 1M pps:).

Yes, the 7206VXR with NPE-G1 can quite easily do 1Mpps, but the
figures usually published are for routing. FreeBSD will also do
this on properly configured hardware - google should return some
useful usenet posts and discussions.

7200 is positioned as a router for ISPs, and they don't often do
NAT - and as such, routing figures quite reliably put it in the
400-500kpps area (1Mpps full duplex).

If Your problem lies in large NAT, either segregate the NAT process
in few smaller chunks closer to end-users, by making few groups of
"NAT-routers" that aggregate already NATed sessions on one main
router, that's just routing (7200 will do just fine in that
scenario), or buy some solution, that will do NAT in hardware.

As for the 7200, if You wish, drop me an e-mail with some more
details (running-config, exact version of IOS, modules loaded) and
I can try to look for possible causes of poor performance. However
please bear in mind, that NAT always requires first packet to be
process/fast switched and some other requirements usually need to
be met. For starters, check if You have CEF configured (`ip cef'),
dropping all the usual Win$shit traffic (to not produce NAT
translations for trashy traffic on the internal, ingress interface
(via ACLs) and preferably control-plane configured - because sometimes
DoS/semi-DoS scenarios arise from the fact, that router itself is
slammered with packets.

> Ipfilter that is included in FreeBSD 5.3 is an old
> 3.4.35, I was not satisifed with its performance so I thoght that since
> ipf 4.1.6 is newer and has some new features maybe it can better cope
> with high NAT traffic. Unfortunately it won't  compile cleanly on
> FBSD5.3-amd64 without supplied patch. I have compiled it with #define
> LARGE_NAT but so far  I have tested it - only on few machines on local
> LAN and it works fine and I'm sure I will try it on live network with
> high traffic load  :)

You should try pf, it's usually faster.

--
this space was intentionally left blank    |            Ɓukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here   |        lukasz:bromirski,net