Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:31:17 -0500
From:      Colin Farley <Colin.Farley@ecarecenters.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gratuitous ARP

   Hi all,

   I am using UCARP on two FreeBS= D 4.10-RELEASE-p16 nodes to offer
   highly available apache virtual hosts.&nb= sp; Everything seems to
   work very well except that occasionally one webserv= er will become
   inaccessable from outside it's subnet.  I have narrowed= this down to
   an arp issue.  When a UCARP IP becomes unavailable. = ; I normally
   start a constant ping to it from my machine which lives on a d=
   ifferent subnet, all requests timeout.  I log into the cisco router
   th= at has an interfaces living on the webserver's subnet.  I then
   view th= e arp table of the cisco router an see that the MAC that is
   listed for that= UCARP IP is the MAC of the inactive node.  I then
   clear the arp cache= on the cisco router, this makes the routers arp
   table update correctly aft= er that my ping requests get replied and
   the webserver is again accessible = from the outside.

   So, I have come up with a few = solutions to this problem, which
   include:

   1.&nbs= p; Set the arp cache timeout of the cisco router very low so
   that outages a= re minimal.  I would rather not do this as it will
   problably stress th= e router too much.  Unfortunately I know little
   about cisco devices so= I really cant figure this one out, does anyone
   think that this is a bad th= ing?  Can you tell a cisco device not to
   cache arp entries on just the= internal interface?  The subnet
   currently consists of about 25 hosts = so this may not be so bad after
   all?

   2.  Run an ANT task to = clear the cache on the cisco device, this
   task can become part of the UCARP= scripts.  This may be a good
   solution but security is a concern.

   3.  Find a way to make the FreeBSD nodes produce more than usual=
   gratuitous arp packets or add a line to do only that in the UCARP
   scripts.=   Anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions on how I
   may be able= to do this?  I have tried by re adding the alias but this
   sometimes d= oesn't work until I again remove and readd the alias.
   Could it be a p= roblem with the alias addition not functioning
   properly?

   &= nbsp;

   Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

   Thanks,

   Colin

   =