Date:      18 Apr 2001 22:11:48 +0100
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        <rseals@vdsi.net>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD as an X workstation - Not sure how to word question

"Ray Seals" <rseals@vdsi.net> writes:

> I want to use my FreeBSD workstation to give me a list of X Machines that I
> can log into.  Once I have selected the machine from the pick list I would
> get the X Windows Login screen.  This would be similar to how running WinAxe
> on Windows using XDMCP.  How can I do this and can I do this.

I normally just use X over ssh when I want to access gui progs on
other machines. I run X on my own machine, then do
xhost +addressofremotemachine
ssh -X machinename

then launch the command. ssh handles the authentication as well as
making sure that my session is encrypted. It also means that I don't
have to run X ports all over the place.

I know it's not what you were asking for, but maybe you'll consider it
as an alternative...

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk