Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 03:09:49 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Some un-biased numbers on OS distributions...

Over the past couple of days, I've been trying to come up with some
reasonably unbiased numbers concerning distribution of operating systems
on the Internet...the numbers are depressing so far:

Operating System Summary
OS       # of Hosts % of Hosts
Windows       37929      74.94
Linux          4750       9.39
Macintosh      2044       4.04
SunOS          1691       3.34
FreeBSD         336       0.66

Granted, the sample size is still only ~50,000 hosts, but the %ages stay
pretty consistant as most hosts come on line...are we *really* that far
behind?

Full results can be seen at http://www.hub.org/OS_Survey, and just by
hitting that page, you add to the results...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org