Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 12:30:14 +0100
From:      Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: /etc/mail/relay-domains vs /etc/hosts.allow

On 05/01/2002 at 03:30:33, Peter Leftwich said:
> If I want my (dynamic) IP to be able to accept incoming email for, say,
> root@my-ip-here do I enable the SMTP IP address in relay-domains as "RELAY"
> or do I add a listing to hosts.allow for the same SMTP IP address as an
> "allow?"  Or do I do both?  Help!

A properly configured sendmail would use neither of those files for this
purpose. Instead you would put the domain name(s) you wish to relay for (and
which are local to your server) in /etc/mail/local-host-names (previously
called sendmail.cw).

If you have a local network e.g. 192.168.0/24 and the access.db feature of
sendmail is enabled you might add the following to /etc/mail/access:

192.168.0	RELAY

To answer your original question, relay-domains usually specifies domains you
wish to relay for but aren't necessarily local to your server. You generally
don't want to be an open relay so this file may be of little use in your
case. /etc/hosts.allow controls who may or may not *connect* to your SMTP
service. It may be useful for any IPs you specifically want to deny access to
your service but it's not a good way to control mail routing.

Regards,
Neil Darlow M.Sc.
--
1024D/531F9048 1999-09-11 Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>
GPG Fingerprint = 359D B8FF 6273 6C32 BEAA  43F9 E579 E24A 531F 9048