Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:12:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        erick@accessone.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X-Windows - trying to get working

> On Mon, 16 Dec 1996 06:56:28 +0100 (MET), Bogusz Jelinski wrote:
>

> >On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Eric Kylstra wrote:
> >
> >> Excuse a few dumb questions here.  I have installed 2.1.5 and all the
> >> basics are working (bash and users are set up).  As part of the install
> >> I took the setup options after the main install to set up XF86Config.
> >>
> >> I may have made a mistake when I accepted the default to place
> >> XF86Config in /etc.  I also copied it to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 after
> >> things were done.
>
> >No mistake here.
> >>
> >> At this point none of the programs in /usr/X11R6/bin work even though
> >> they have the executable permission is set.
>
> >What kind of message is displayed on the screen. I bet - xinit file not
> >found
> >The most common mistake is to run X without having set the PATH correctly.
> >That is  /usr/X11R6/bin should be added
> >

> >> Do I need to compile things from xc/programs/Xserver with make
> >> Makefile, make Makefiles, and make depend?
>
> >No need!
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Bogusz
> >

> I'm afraid all the path stuff is correct.  What I get when I try to run
> startx, X or any other X-windows program is that a program by that name
> doesn't exist.  This is even though the permissions are correctly set
> to executable.  Any other ideas?

What is the exact error message you are getting? (upon which command?)

Did you run xf86config before that?

Is there a file /usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_<something>
and does the latter exist?

Did you rehash (after adding things to your path) in case you are using
csh/tcsh as your login shell?